May 10, 2006

L.I.F.E.

I may have mentioned this before, but I'm an English Teacher in Japan. I have been running my own conversation school for almost seven years and have been teaching since 1991. In the last few years my wife and I have been putting together a dream and recently the next stage of it has come to fruition.
I started a language school in the city of Morioka in order to earn enough money to open a bar & restaurant. Even though I still plan on doing just that, somewhere along the line I discovered that I truly enjoyed the interactive experience that comes along with teaching. I also started to perceive my business as my child rather than a method of acquiring a bit of cash. Anyone can easily understand the difficulties of turning an idea into a reality. There are many obstacles to overcome and the fact that I was doing it in Japan made it even more troublesome. Without the constant support and help from my partner in business and in life I would have fallen on my face and been out of the race right off the starting blocks. Let me not forget the numerous employees/friends who have taught me to become what I believe to be a generous and compassionate boss. Some people out there might think that is an oxymoron, but it isn't. Now I still think of the school as my child, but I tend to look at it as one that is starting to enter adolescence. I started with an infant and now I'm sending him off to middle school.
Enough words. Lets take a look at the place...



The entrance and room at the start of construction.



The second day of construction. Walls and wallpapering.

From Japanese squatty potty to modern shitstool in four days! May not seem like a big deal to you, but you can't read a newspaper while doing business on an old style toilet because you're hanging on for dear life so you don't fall in.


The reception area and a rainy day view of the building across the way.

Conference area for students and Internet area right next to the coffee machine, perfect!

Student lounge. Still needs some artwork on the walls

Before.After.

These pics were taken with my crappy phone cam, so they aren't the best quality nor do they do justice to the amount of space that we now have access to, but if you ever care to visit, just let me know and I'll be happy to show you around.
The past six years have been exciting ones and I believe that the adventure is still running it's course. I'm really thankful that we got the original space to start the school and even more grateful that we can take things up a notch or two.

NYD

No comments: