February 14, 2011

West Side serenade

Just about this time of year when everyone is tossing Hershey's Kisses at each other while expressing their love for each other in platitudes and Hallmark expressions of seriously dubious sincerity, I get homesick.
February is without a doubt the worst possible time to walk the streets of New York. It's colder than a crack whore's heart and twice as bitter. The shine and sparkle of Christmas and New Years has turned into a patina of verdigris that leaves most people sucking on the exhaust pipe of reality, but that's exactly when I want to be back home. It's easy to visit a place when it's rolling on a winning streak and folks are so happy that they are high-fiveing the bus drivers while tossing exact change into the hopper. I need to get back when the streets and the sky blend into one monochromatic tone of gray and the blare of taxicab horns cut through the winter air making you cringe and shudder and pull that coat closer around yer shoulders while waitin for a chance to sprint across the street.

I want to go down to Riverside park and stare the hawk in the face. A doob in the smitty and a half pint skit of Dewars in the back pocket of my Levis to keep the edge just right,,, And when I get numb...Just numb enough to come to my senses I'd like to head on back home to be with the girl who made me want to stare at the river in the fist place,



9 comments:

Serena said...

You turned a couple of seriously dynamite phrases in this post, Dude. Kudos! Sounds like you're suffering a case of homesickness right now. Maybe a trip home is in your not too distant future? I adore Tom Waits, by the way, and loved the video.

Happy Valentine's Day!;)

dianne said...

I too think that you may be a little homesick or it could just be the month of February stirring up some memories from the past.
I hope you are feeling a lot better by now.
I hope you got to spend Valentine's Day with someone you care for.

xoxoxo ♡

NYD said...

Thanks Serena. I always try to make it worthwhile reading for those who drop on by...

Diane. It might take many years and lots of water under the bridge before anything happening in February will bring a smile to my face.

Kurt said...

It hit 60 degrees yesterday. It was sort of like spring.

bbw1957 said...

you made me homesick and i'm here! got the baby Reilly in my arms,fell asleep listening to tom waits. he's such a great lyricist and performer. wish you were here, we'd both be down at Riverside watching the sunset over the Jersey skyline listening to some Waits. Then I'll take the dogs home and you can go visit that person. See you later kiddo. Miss ya!

Mona said...

Colder than a crack whore's heart! That is more of a metaphysical conceit than a simile!!

You draw a cool picture ( pun intended)Love the expression here!

Write a book NYD!

lime said...

well then i wish you a february in nyc...at least you imagine it well.

chickory said...

nice writing! I was so there with you. and i love that suckin' on a tailpipe of reality. you said it baby. good to see you!

(it's K9)

PBS said...

Bummer, but winter can be like that. Hope it gets better for ya soon!