February 12, 2006

Do it .....or don't

Decisions were easier when I was a kid. They weren't less important, they just came faster to me. Later, when I was all grown up making a choice was the way I defined my life.
Now that I'm getting kinda set in my ways [read: old fart] I see decsions as the enemy. Once I choose a course of action I don't like to change my mind midway through to embark on another path. It makes me feel like I've wasted time and that is something I dislike very much. I'm not only talking about big things here. This covers the everyday situations and problems we encounter all the time.
I'll give you a fer instance;



FADE IN ON:

A VAN TRAVELING DOWN A FAIRLY BUSY STREET.

The sun is setting and the skies are warm and glowing.

CUT TO:

A COUPLE SITTING IN THE CAR.

The man is driving. He's smoking a cigarette. The woman is young and beautiful. She's scribbling in a notepad

THE WIFE:
I'm feeling a little bit hungry. How about some sushi-go-round. (translated from the original Japanese)

THE HUSBAND:
Do you want to eat before or after we do the shopping?

THE WIFE:
Does that mean you don't want to eat sushi?

CUT TO:
THE HUSBAND: Does a quick double take wearing a perplexed look on his face

No. I just want to know if you want to eat now or later. If you're hungry now there's a shop a short ways from here. If you want to eat later we can always go to the place near our apartment.
THE WIFE:
One place is the same as the other, isn't it

THE HUSBAND:
What's really important is that you tell me if you want to eat now or not. The turn is just up ahead.
Ext shot.
The van continues up the road passing the intersection without turning. The decision made.
CUT TO:
the couple sitting in silence, the background music changes to the next song indicating some passage of time

THE WIFE
You know we always buy a lot of junk food when we shop while hungry.
Let's eat before we do our shopping.

The husband shoots himself an "You see what I mean" look in the rear view mirror, as we...
CUT TO:
Ext shot.
The Van making an impromptu U-turn and the sound of car horns honking

FADE OUT.
Caprice, the right of every woman is the bane to every man.
NYD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Screenplays aren't written that way. You should take a course in writing or at least look at a sample. Research your stuff before you write!!!