February 28, 2006

Kickin' back with the cows

KUZUMAKI-The valley of milk and wine. A nice place to go if you don't really have anything planned for the day. A very sleepy backwater town a little more than one hours drive north of Morioka. The drive itself is really nice. I never use the main roads so I get to see a lot of really old, interesting homes and farms along the way. The trip through the mountains is nice and serpentine. If you have a sports car or a motorcycle you'll have more fun on the roads than you will once you get to town. It's been said that there are more cows than people living in Kuzumaki and from what I've seen I'd have to agree with that. But that only adds charm to a town in a country where over population is the norm. This place lacks all the spurious and gaudy structures that you will find in most places that you travel to in Japan. There is no over sized unused town hall nor is there a bright and shiny train station that gets but two trains coming through a day. In fact there is no train station at all. No fancy Temples or Shrines designed to attract tourists. The place is simple. Unadorned and natural. If you need some time away from the rest of the world and want to get your thoughts back in order this is the spot to do it in. When the weather is warm you can sit outside and have a beer or two at a pretty little roadside stop that makes it's own brew and overlooks the ski area which is used for cattle grazing once the snow has melted. You can visit the winery and get yourself a really yummy wine flavored soft cream. I don't think much of the wine but it's a nice place to visit.
If you like dairy products Kuzumaki has the best butter, milk and Camembert cheese in Iwate. It costs a bit more, but it's really worth it. Kuzumaki is my home away from my home away from home. If you ever get up this way look me up and I'll show you around.
NYD
P.S. I'll be posting pics in a week or two.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE KUZUMAKI☆