June 07, 2006

Self help

I love words. They are the the only way I have of expressing my view of the world.
I can't paint or compose music, so I'm left with language. I'm always on the lookout for a good story or witty turn of phrase that compels me to search inside myself for a better way to present my map of the way I see things.
Metaphors, litotes, smilies, alliteration, aphorisms, anecdotes,and oxymorons are some of the best tools I've found to blaze a trail in the jungle of thoughts that run through my mind.

I abhor the term "self help" The idea of improving yourself is admirable, but when you are getting your ideas from a paperback, purchased after procrastinating and pondering over the plethora of pulp printed and published by the purveyors of popular psychology, you are circumventing the the action of introspection and effort that is needed for true growth.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that taking the advice of someone who hasn't met you and knows nothing about your situation or troubles may not be the smartest move one could make.

Go out, live life and make your mistakes. I believe that at the end of it all you won't be thinking of all the problems you've had, but rather all the things you didn't do while you were trying to fix all the hairy bullshit that we all share in life.
Some things ain't worth the time and effort of fixing. Knowing what's important and what's not is a sure fire way of making a life worth remembering.

No comments: