July 12, 2006

Cuckoo

When I was a kid I had an extreme fascination with cuckoo clocks. My grandmother had one and I loved it when the little bird would stick it's head out the door to announce the passing of time. Most people at one time or another share this interest. Even if you've never owned one you probably saw one somewhere and thought "How quaint, wouldn't that look great in our livingroom, George". OK, maybe not, but I'm certain that you can imagine just how delightful they could be.

I never got my very own cuckoo and it wasn't until this past week that I understood why. The damn things go off at all hours of the day and night!

Now I still don't have a cuckoo clock, I have a real live cuckoo! Every morning at around 7:00 or so, the godforsaken bird starts calling for it's mate or friends or because that's what it's supposed to do. I've never seen they bird, but man, is it loud! I don't know how they fit them inside those cute little time pieces. The thing has a voice that makes me think it's the size of a small turkey. I keep sending my cat out to make it's acquaintance but she never seems to discover the whereabouts of this nefarious bird.

No comments: